The Dragons of Eden
by Carl Sagan
- Rate at which evolution progresses. Moths in England
- Limit to amount of info a brain can store
- # neurons ~ 10 billion with 1,000 to 10,000 interconnections
- How are we able to assess the accuracy of our recollections?
- Speech - the use of breathing organs to sonically transmit thoughts
- How do we perceive time continuity?
- Probability theory of reality assessment
- Inquiry into the nature and evolution of human intelligence
- Mind is anatomy and physiology and nothing more
- Dismisses mind-body dualism
- Typical chromosonal DNA molecule has 5 billion pairs of nucleotides
- Much DNA must be redundant or functionless
- Human beings average 1 mutation per 10 gametes