One Writer's Beginnings
by Eudora Welty
Showed excellent psychological insight:
- p. 16 "wasn't any lying in our family..." In adolescence she
found that other families lied to each other.
- p. 19 future story writer. She noted, "one secret is liable to
be revealed in the place of another."
- p. 21 mother's mind was a mass of associations: Whatever happened would
be forever paired for her to 'whatever happened before it". It became
a private anniversary.
- p. 21 "when mother told me she wanted me to have something she
never had, I partly wanted to give it back."
- p. 42 time as an adversary